…For me at least. This week I’m going to be going without Google in my life. It was a conversation with @monkchips that finally pushed me over the edge.
As he held up his Google branded phone to take a picture that with probably end up on a Google-powered photo site, indexed by Google search-bots, published on Google powered blogs, with Google-powered ads, viewed in Google built web browsers, maybe even on a Google build operating system, I thought of something I hover heard recently:
“Big Brother won’t come in via the front door, he’ll come in via the backdoor, and pretend to be your friend.”
Now for the record, I have nothing against Google – I normally use lots of Google tools (and even paid-for Google products) – But I’ve realised that I don’t have a grip on how pervasive a part of my Internet use Google is.
There’s only one way to really find out, directing my attention at with, by attempting a week without Google. That means:
- Not using any Google products – e.g. gmail, google search, etc…
- Not providing any data to Google systems – e.g. Google Analytics, Feedburner, etc…
I mean, how hard can that be?
- A week without Google – Day 1
- A week without Google – Day 2-3
- The rest ended up in an article or 10…