If you are unfamiliar with the regular Twitter cook-offs, then check out the Summer Pudding Twitter Competition post for a bit of background. Dozens of people from around the globe in an on-line cooking competition, co-ordinated via social networking site Twitter, watched by thousands.
This month’s competition has less to do with cooking and more to do with making. Last month’s winner chose a Summer Sandwich for this month’s competition, so the only heat was in the competion, rather than the food… Well, apart from the occasional chilli in one of the sandwiches.
The usual host for judging, Maggie Philbin, was being held hostage by family, so Caalie and I headed across the county border on behalf of Nickie Philbin, to meet the judge and show off the entries in a slightly rainy Farnborough in Hampshire. This month’s special guest judge was Darius Zvinis, Executive Chef, at the Landings Restaurant in Farnborough. I’ve blogged about the Landings before, over on the Redcatco blog, for their use of Twitter in their business.
Darius turned out to be a very diligent judge! He is Canadian, with Polish roots, and thoroughly enjoyed himself as we bemused him with antics from the Twitter community. The Landings is a wonderfully presented restaurant, with great food, so it was interesting to hear Darius talking about the importance of high quality ingredients and presentation that is practical as well as attractive – the dish has to make it to the table in one piece! “Less is more,” he said, “Great sandwiches can be spoiled by being too busy.” Caalie and Darius huddled over my laptop as they thumbed through the entries:
There were 15 entries in total. Here’s is the judge’s feedback for each:
- @M4ryDeNovo – great bread! Too bad crusts were cut. Good example of less is more.
- @Andyqsmith @nicolarse51 – prob v tasty, great marinade. Presentation not best, but looked a lot of fun!
- @Redmummy – Not too keen on presentation. looks very tasty, especially smoked salmon.
- @edwardclarke – Pastrami looks good – this is key. Maybe too much flavour – perhaps gherkin, mustard and chilli would be enough.
- @squidge1997 – you’re like me in the kitchen – who needs recipes?! Very Creative and a lot of fun!
- @caalie – looks like a real sandwich! Some good flavours.
- @annraulston – this made me laugh. More art than sandwich
- @shar13 – very nice, very creative, an interesting combination which is definitely worth trying.
- @stu_art_ist – very creative and the flavours are there. How practical is it? It needs to make it to the table!
- @JimAnning – you know something about food. Great ingredients, properly put together, looks good.
- @bubith – this looks really great and really tasty
- @maggiephilbin – a little crazy! (sandwich not person)
- @TrinityRhapsody – Nicely done, perhaps a little fussy
- @TrevorLamont – it should have been a stella! :)
- @nickiephilbin – too many ingredients, but a great steak sandwich
And last but not least: @handbagpets, best unjudged entry and best bikini!
Darius opted for two categories in the end, a “fun category” and a serious one! First, the results in the fun category:
- 1st @Andyqsmith and @nicolarse51 – “well done!”
- 2nd – @squidge1997 “fantastic fun and clearly loves being creative.”
- 3rd – @TrevorLamont “(might’ve won if it had been a stella…)”
And, in the highly coveted serious category, the winners:
- 1st – @edwardclarke – this just looked so tasty, maybe it’s my Polish roots.
- 2nd – @shar13 – really like that combination of flavours.
- 3rd – @nickiephilbin – it was the ginger with the steak that won me over.
With @JimAnning, @caalie and @bubith as runners up. As Nickie Philbin said, well done to Edward for winning for a 2nd time!!! Winner’s privilege is to choose the next challenge, and this time Edward has chosen “Summer Starter” for next month.
Well done to everyone who took part, and a huge cheer for Landings Restaurant in Farnborough (@landingsrestaur), and, as ever, to Maggie and Nickie for creating a little global community around food! Check out the pictures of the all the entries here. I look forward to next month’s adventures, huddled around a laptop, talking food. Once of these days I’m going to get to eat the winning entry!
7 comments for “SummerSandwich – Twitter Food and Fun”